Tuesday 21 January 2014

My Skincare Routine - Tone & Treat


So I've finished cleansing - what next? Well, next I go for some chemical exfoliation and I'm currently using Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Exfoliating Facial Pads. These smell lovely and have a rough side to exfoliate and a smooth side to, well, smooth! I think they're approximately 2.8% glycolic acid so they're not going to give you a full on peeling effect but they do seem to provide a nice daily dose of exfoliation. They also contain hyaluronic acid and blue daisy to help sooth, although I don't find them especially irritating. Nice as they are, though, I've read some amazing things about the Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner so that might have to be my next pick.

If my skin is really acting up and irritated I ditch the Nip + Fab pads and reach for Boots' Botanics 100% Organic Rosewater Toning Spritz, which  is wonderfully cooling and refreshing and seems to take the heat out of any irritation. I'm a huge sucker for fresh rose scents too and this one does not disappoint. I spray it all over my face then lightly dab it off with a cottonwool pad.

Toning done and it's serum time! My favourite is REN ClearCalm 3 Replenishing Night Cream which is sort of a cross between a serum and a moisturiser. It has a light gel cream texture which melts into the skin and soothes irritated blemishes while working to combat scars and protect pores. I use this every night on top of any other serums and occasionally during the day if I'm staying in and piling on the skincare.

Another night serum I've recently added is designed to compliment the exfoliating toning step. REN Resurfacing AHA Concentrate contains no less than four acids (glycolic, lactic, citric and tartaric) and is starting to help smooth the fine lines peeking through on my forehead as well as slough away dull skin. It smells a bit funky though, almost acrid and smoky. I only use this every other night, and not when my skin is feeling irritated, as its fairly strong.

After my morning tone I've been applying S5 Purity Serium which contains rainforest bioactives to work on reducing the appearance of blemishes and pores. This serum has a slightly slimy texture but sinks in almost on contact and really does help to reduce my blemishes and heal them more quickly. I don't want to bore you (and this is turning into the longest post ever) but seriously, this stuff is good!

Despite all the things I've already mentioned I think there's still a serum shaped hole in my routine. As I've been ill recently my skin has been ultra dehydrated so I'm on the hunt for a moisture imparting potion and I've got my eye firmly on Caudalie Vinosource SOS Thirst Quenching Serum. I'll let you know how I get on with it!

Have you tried any of these? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment