Sunday 2 February 2014

January Favourites


My very first favourites post! I love reading these on other blogs so I had to include one on my own. These are 5 things I've really been loving in January (hint: the weather is not one of them).

A couple of weeks a ago I posted about the best concealer I've ever tried so naturally 17 Phwoarr Paint had to feature as one of my favourites, not just of January but frankly of all time! A great creamy formula which blends beautifully to give perfect coverage which lasts for hours. What's not to love? Read my original post here.

I was in the market for a new foundation so when one of my favourite bloggers mentioned a dupe for Georgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation, which I've been dying to try, I sat up and took notes. It turns out that L'Oréal True Match foundation was exactly what I was looking for and while I can't comment on its similarity to GALS I can confirm its a fab formula. It blends well giving enough coverage to hide most blemishes and even out skin tone, has a very natural semi matt finish and lasts for ages even on my oily patches - far better than anything else I've tried before. The shade range is also impressive and I had no problem getting a shade light enough for my milky visage.

Sticking with makeup, I said at the start of the year I wanted to wear more lipstick so I thought I'd start off gently with some sheer formulas in "my lips but better" shades. A quick swatching session in Boots and I fell in love with the Revlon ColourShine Lip Butters, so much so I now own four of them! The formula is very hydrating (essential on my dry lips) and the colour payoff actually isn't bad although my lips are quite pigmented so I get more of a wash of colour. Wear time isn't amazing but nor does it slide off at the mere suggestion of a glass of water. I have Pink Truffle, Berry Smoothie, Macaroon and, because I wanted to take the plunge into reds, Candy Apple. I love them all and am happy to report that lipstick, sheer at least, is becoming a regular feature on my face.

You may have noticed that I took the plunge and had my very long hair cut short at the beginning of the month (see a before and after here). Besides giving me a lovely new 'do my hairdresser gave me the lowdown on the benefits of hair oils, which I admit I'd avoided for fear of ending up with greasy locks. She managed to convince me so I turned to my favourite drugstore hair brand Tresemmé and invested in their Oil Elixir Colour for coloured hair which contains macadamia and grapeseed oils and a UV filter.
I'm rarely disappointed by Tresemmé's offerings and this is no exception. It smells amazing and sinks into my hair without any trace of greasiness or residue, leaving it smooth, shiny and incredibly soft and silky. It has instantly become a must-use after every hair wash!

I've been rounding up my skincare this month and mentioned in my Tone & Treat post I wanted to to try the Caudalie Vinosource SOS Thirst Quenching Serum to improve my dehydrated skin. Well I managed to get my hands on a bottle and I am sold! Usually it takes a little while for me to see he benefits from a serum but this one had an immediate effect leaving my skin calmed and much more hydrated. Expression lines, which I think are a combination of dehydration  and first signs of ageing, were plumped out and my makeup wore better than it has before, lasting pretty much an entire busy day in the office. Plus it smells wonderful and feels so light, almost like water. I now use this pretty much every morning.

So those have been my favourite things in January. What have you been loving this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment